Dermalogica is developed in consideration of the stressed and modern life many of us live today and the consequence that has on the skin. Dermalogica has no consuming skincare routines or products in expensive packages. The founder Jane Wurwand created a skincare line without comedogenic ingredients, meaning they don´t clog the pores and create black heads.
In 1986, Jane and Raymond Wurwand founded the skincare brand Dermalogica. Three years prior, they had founded The International Dermal Institute (IDI), which today, is considered the international gold-standard for postgraduate skin and body therapy training with 37 locations worldwide. All of Dermalogica’s products are developed at IDI with the knowledge and expertise of instructors from all over the world.
As a brand, Dermalogica immediately upset the prevailing paradigm of beauty and glamour by classifying skin care as a health issue as opposed to a cosmetic concern. Just as they removed common irritants that can clog pores and cause breakouts, Dermalogica also introduced a powerful new element into the brand identity: the specialized expertise of the professional skin therapist. It has never taken part in animal testing, and does not use Mineral Oil, Lanolin, artificial colors and fragrances or cheap fillers in their products. Dermalogica’s active ingredients are natural essential oils and extract. Green clay and lemon balm cleanses and calms, while rice extract, lactic acid, salicylic acid has a gentle exfoliating effect on the skin.
General Contraindications for products containing active ingredients (e.g. AHA products)
1. If you are still using exfoliating products from a different line of products, stop using these 2 weeks prior to starting a new treatment
2. Do not exfoliate on sunburned skin (red/irritated) or newly waxed skin
3. Do not use if your are taking prescription medication for acne
4. If you are using prescription medication for acne e.g. Roacutan you should stop taking the medicine at least 6 months prior to using products with active ingredients
5. If you are using topical creams to treat acne e.g. Aberela, Retinova, Zorac, Differin you should stop using the product at least 2-3 months prior to exfoliating your skin