You have probably heard that exfoliants are good for your skin and you may recognise the following acronyms; AHA, BHA and PHA. But what do they really mean and what do these acids (yes, they are all acids) do for your skin? And most importantly of all, which one is best for you?
The one thing these acid types all have in common is that they are designed to exfoliate the skin, which means they help loosen up the top layer of dead skin cells - these cells are ready to fall off on their own but can be gently removed in order to make way for new, younger skin cells. This results in the skin taking on a more even surface and a healthier appearance - we refer to this as radiance or glow. Let us take a more in-depth look into these different kinds of acids!
AHA, or Alpha Hydroxy Acids are a group of acids that are naturally found in fruit, milk, sugarcane etc. AHA exfoliates on different degrees, where glycolic acid is the most powerful. It helps to stimulate our skins’ cell regeneration process, which is perfect for mature skin because the cell renewal process is slower than in more youthful skin. This exfoliating effect helps to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles, as well as work on pigmentation deep within the skin. It also works well on dry skin - choose a lactic acid as it will help to lock moisture into your skin. Mandelic acid is also a part of this group, and with its anti inflammatory properties it makes it great for more sensitive skin or people suffering with acne.
- Exfoliates the skin and increases cell renewal
- Treats pigmentation, sun damage and evens out the skin tone
- Locks in moisture and gives radiance
- Reduces fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin and scars
- Excellent for dry or mature skin
BHA, or Beta Hydroxy Acids are a group of acids, and within skin care we predominantly use salicylic acid. This acid (which can be found in aspirin!) naturally occurs in the white willow tree (salix alba) and contains anti inflammatory properties. It is also fat soluble which makes it great for oily skin with blocked pores, or inflamed acne. Salicylic acid works its way deep into the pores and dissolves sebum, which in turn improves the condition of the pores. Mature skin with fine lines, wrinkles and sun damage can also benefit well from BHA.
- Exfoliates the skin and increases cell renewal
- Dissolves oil in the pores
- Effective treatment against acne and blackheads
- Anti-inflammatory properties and soothes redness
PHA, or Poly Hydroxy Acids are a group of acids that work their magic slowly, which is great for sensitive skin that is prone to irritation and redness which can come from using AHA. PHA has a larger molecular structure than AHA, which means it penetrates the skin more slowly and therefore doesn’t exfoliate as powerfully as acids with a smaller molecular structure. These mild acids are perfect for all types of sensitive and/or dry skin conditions such as eczema or rosacea. Mature skin can also benefit from the antioxidant properties which protect the skin's’ collagen from breaking down. Examples of PHA in the skin care world is gluconolactone och lactobionic acid.
- Exfoliates the skin and increases cell renewal
- Locks in plenty of moisture
- Works like an antioxidant
- Ideal for sensitive skin and rosacea
CAN I COMBINE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ACIDS?
Generally it is possible to combine acids, but you should always check with a skin care therapist to make sure that you get the right combination for your skin type, and that the products you buy do not clash with each other due to the pH values, or that the mixture would be too strong for your skin. Normally you can mix products from the same brand without issue but it is well worth double checking to make sure you get the best possible outcome for your skin.
ACIDS AND THE SUN
It is always smart to use a high SPF as the final step in your morning skin care routine to help protect against early signs of ageing and sun damage, but it is vital when using acids! The exfoliating effect they have on your skin can make it more sensitive to the sun. You should also be careful with acids when you know you will be exposed to the sun for extended periods, so it is wise to use them in the evenings or completely avoid them during your holidays in the sun. But most importantly - don’t forget your sunscreen!
WELCOME TO THE SKIN GUIDE!
This is the place where you’ll find information about everything associated with the skin and skincare. Learn more about the characteristics of different skin types and skin conditions to find products that best suit your needs. Our skin therapists will guide you through the jungle of skincare and share their best tips and advice. To get personalized product recommendations, we suggest that you take our free skin test.
- ArbutinAscorbic acidAscorbyl palmitateBlueberriesCeramidesCucumberCurcuminFerulic acidGingerGlycolic acidHyaluronic acidKojic AcidMagnesium ascorbyl phosphateNiacinamideNMF (Natural Moisturising Factors)PapayaPomegranateRetinolRhubarbSalicylic acidSodium hyaluronateSodium hyaluronate crosspolymerVitamin CWater
- WaterArbutinRetinolSalicylic acidFerulic acidCurcuminHyaluronic acidSodium hyaluronate crosspolymerSodium hyaluronateKojic AcidNiacinamideVitamin CAscorbyl palmitateMagnesium ascorbyl phosphateAscorbic acidCeramidesGlycolic acidCucumberBlueberriesGingerPomegranateRhubarbPapayaNMF (Natural Moisturising Factors)
LIST ALL A/Z
- 3 x Highlighting5 tips for dark circles under the eyesAcids in skincareAcneAcne on your bodyAcne – the causes of and how to treat it AHA, BHA or PHA - Which acid is right for you?Annicas Travel EssentialsAnti-pollution: What is air pollution and how can you protect your skin against it?April Favourites: Anti-pollutionArbutinArbutin - to treat an uneven skin tone Ascorbic acidAscorbyl palmitatebareMinerals - Gen NudeBefore & After: A clear skin with Paula's ChoiceBefore & After: After 3 months Jonna’s skin was looking better than everBefore & After: After just a few weeks Josefin could see a change in her skinBefore & After: Annas acne got calmer with ExuvianceBefore & After: Bahar got help with her acne and dry skinBefore & after: Celina combined By Wishtrend and LeegeehaamBefore & After: Edit´s 12-step routine for her rosacea Before & After: Frida now dares to go out without makeupBefore & After: Jennifer could see results with Paula's ChoiceBefore & After: Maria took the skin test and got help with her hormonal acneBefore & After: Nikki could see results after just one monthBefore & After: Rebecka chose an organic brand to get her skin in balanceBefore & After: Sanna got help with her acne around her jawBefore & After: Sofia got help with her inflamed spots and bumpy skinBefore & After: Sofia got her skin confidence backBefore & After: Susanne took the skin test and was recommended Paula’s ChoiceBefore & After: The skincare products that helped Marie with her melasmaBiologique Recherche - Crème Contour Yeux et Levres BiofixineBiologique Recherche - Crème MSR HBiologique Recherche - Crème PlacentaBiologique Recherche - Crème VIP O2Biologique Recherche - Fluide VIP O2Biologique Recherche - Lait UBiologique Recherche - Lotion P50Biologique Recherche - Masque Visolastine +Biologique Recherche - Masque VivantBiologique Recherche - Serum CocktailBlueberriesBoost you skin with ampoulesBuzz ingredientsBy Terry - Cellularose Brightening CC Lumi-SerumBy Terry - Cellularose Cleansing Oil Make-up Remover OilBy Terry - Compact Expert Dual PowderBy Terry - Densiliss Sun Glow Anti-Wrinkle Blur Bronzing SerumBy Terry - Glow Expert Duo StickBy Terry - Hyaluronic Hydra-PowderBy Terry - Lash Expert Twist Brush MascaraBy Terry - Light Expert Click BrushBy Terry - Stylo BlackstarBy Terry - Terrybly Densiliss Concealer Anti-Wrinkle Dark CircleCeramidesCeramides in skincareCombination skinCover FX - Custom Cover DropsCover FX - Custom Cover DropsCucumberCurcuminDecember favourites: GlowDecleor - Aroma Svelt Body Firming Oil-in-CreamDecleor - Aromessence Mandarine Smoothing Night BalmDecleor - Aromessence Mandarine Smoothing SerumDecleor - Aromessence Marjolaine Nourishing Night BalmDecleor - Aromessence Marjolaine Nourishing SerumDecleor - Aromessence Neroli AmaraDecleor - Aromessence Rose d´Orient Night BalmDecleor - Aromessence Rose d´Orient Soothing Oil SerumDecleor - Aromessence Solaire Tan Activator SerumDecleor - Hydra Floral White Petal Skin Perfecting ConcentrateDecleor - Micellar OilDecleor - Orexellence Aromessence Magnolia Youthful Night BalmDecleor - Orexellence Aromessence Magnolia Youthful Oil SerumDecleor Aromessence Neroli Hydrating Night BalmDecleor Intense Nutrition Duo MaskDecleor Phytopeel Smooth Exfoliating CreamDehydrationDraping with Glow ExpertDry skinElizabeth Arden PRO - Age Defying SerumElizabeth Arden PRO - Clarifying Foaming CleanserElizabeth Arden PRO - Hydrating Antioxidant SprayElizabeth Arden PRO - Hydration Peel PadsElizabeth Arden PRO - Illuminating Enzyme MasqueElizabeth Arden PRO - Intense Hydrating CreamElizabeth Arden PRO - Moisturizing Facial CreamElizabeth Arden PRO - Sensitive Skin SOS ComplexElizabeth Arden PRO - Smoothing Eye SerumElizabeth Arden PRO - Triple Protection Factor SPF50Exfoliate moreEyebrow colouring - step by stepFebruary Favourites: Barrier BoostersFerulic acidFilorga Professional - Tilde's favourite productsGingerGlass Skin TutorialGlycolic acidGorgeous GlowGorgeous Hands in 4 StepsHere’s how to treat stubborn blackheadsHow to dye your eyebrows at homeHow to succeed with self tanningHow to treat Rosacea?How to use BB, CC, DD cream?HOW YOUR SKIN IS AFFECTED BY STRESS - DE-STRESS WITH HELP FROM SKINCAREHyaluronic acidHyperpigmentationHypopigmentationJanuary favourites: Back to BasicsJurliqueKeratosis pilarisKeratosis PilarisKojic AcidLong thick lashesLovely LipsMagnesium ascorbyl phosphateMarch Favourites: Boost your RoutineMature skinMay favourites: Vitamin CMeet Tata Harper - The Queen of GreenMoisture levels on point - Here’s how you maximise your skin’s H2O levelsMoisturising face mists for every needMultimaskingNiacinamideNMF (Natural Moisturising Factors)Normal skinNovember favourites: Party PrepOctober favourites - moisturisersOils in skincareOily skinPanthenol – for skin, hair and nails PapayaPaula's Choice Resist C15 Super BoosterPeptides – why you should have them in your skincare PomegranateProbiotics: keeping your skin healthyProtect your skin against blue lightRetinolRetinol - super vitaminRetinol Rules - The golden rules for noticeable results RhubarbRich WaterlineRosaceaSalicylic acidSecret tips from the skincare professionalSelf tanning tips - Vita LiberataSelf-tanning step by stepSensitive skinSkincare Heroes - What’s missing from your skincare routine?Skincare routine in 10 stepsSkinCeuticals - AOX+ Eye GelSkinCeuticals - Clarifying Clay MasqueSkinCeuticals - Glycolic 10 Renew OvernightSkinCeuticals - H.A. IntensifierSkinCeuticals - Hydrating B5SkinCeuticals - Hydrating B5 MasqueSkinCeuticals - Phloretin CFSkinCeuticals - Phyto CorrectiveSkinCeuticals - Resveratrol BESodium hyaluronateSodium hyaluronate crosspolymerSun Guide no 1. How does the skin's pigment function?Sun Guide no 10. Protect you lips in the sunSun Guide no 11. How much sun cream should you apply?Sun Guide no 12. Lifted Lashes on the beachSun Guide no 13. Secret Tip from the Skin TherapistSun Guide no 14. Expensive vs. Inexpensive sunscreenSun Guide no 2. Chemical vs. Physical sunscreensSun Guide no 3. What is the difference in various SPF:s?Sun guide no 4. Sun Protection for different skin typesSun Guide no 5. Protect and take care of your scarsSun Guide no 6. Day cream with SPFSun Guide no 7. Did you know...Sun Guide no 8. Tips for even, sun-kissed skin at the beachSun Guide no 9. How often should you reapply your sunscreen?Sun protection for dry skinSun protection for mature skinSun protection for oily skinSun protection for sensitive skinSun protection for skin with acneSun protection for skin with pigmentation spotsThe Makeup CushionThe Mask BrushThe reason for using a primerThe sun - wonderful, but dangerousThe ´Barely There´ MakeupTips for a sensitive skinTips for dry, itchy winter skinTurmeric - The golden ingredientTutorial - BakingVerso - Dark Spot FixVerso - Day Cream SPF 15Verso - Deep Hydration MaskVerso - Foaming CleanserVerso - Hand SerumVerso - Intense Facial MaskVerso - Lip SerumVerso - Night CreamVerso - Reviving Eye MaskVerso - Super Eye SerumVerso - Super Facial OilVerso - Super Facial SerumVita Liberata pHenomenal 2-3 Week Self Tan LotionVitamin A - the superb antioxidantVitamin CVitamin C - The super heroVitamin D - The sunshine vitaminWaterWhat are Alpha Hydroxy Acids?What is a CC-cream?What is Niacinamide?Which face mask suits you?Why exfoliating is beneficial for your skin